Monday, December 16, 2019

"I Thought The Day Would Never Come..."


Hello and welcome, everyone!


This is a long-awaited day for both me and a few others. ;) To give a bit of a back story, this is how I’ve wound up creating my own blog (finally!):

When I was around 12 or 13 years old, I discovered the “blogosphere” through a friend’s photography blog. Being many years ago, I struggle to remember the exact specifics, but I know that some of the first blogs I kept up with were Fresh Modesty and Yet Another Period Drama Blog. (I’m sad to say both bloggers have moved on from those blogs now, but they were sources of great inspiration and amusement to me for a good many years.) I soon discovered a group of girls (well, mostly girls to my knowledge ;)) who shared the same interests and values as I did – a rarity indeed! I grew up with five other siblings, and none of them were particularly interested in what I was – literature, specifically classics and period dramas, musicals and musical theatre, and a few other bits and pieces. Eventually, I plucked up the courage to begin commenting as an Anonymous person, using the pseudonym “Miss Meg March”. It was a spur-of-the-moment choice, but I had always considered myself to be very much like Meg, and Little Women was my favourite story.

However, as I soon discovered that another blogger had recently entered the same circle at the same time that I did, with the title “Miss March”, (in addition to the realization that typing “Miss Meg March” at the end of every comment was becoming tedious), I decided to shorten it to “Miss Meg”. And so I stayed Miss Meg for a few good years, happily commenting on other people’s blogs and forming friendships with all the sweet girls in that circle.

I continually daydreamed about having my own blog, and even asked permission from my parents a few times, but was never allowed to. (Screen time was always limited in our house hold, and the internet isn’t the safest place to allow your children, either.) So, an anonymous commenter I remained, forging a reputation as the girl from Australia known as “Miss Meg”.


Eventually, I was allowed a Gmail account and could actually HAVE A PICTURE NEXT TO MY NAME, and in time, I decided to switch it to my real one... so no, Miss Meg did not vanish off the face of the earth. “Gabby A.” just took her place.
So for all those girls who wondered where on earth Miss Meg got to:
*takes a sweeping bow* It is I, Miss Meg! Finally here to do what she wanted to do five years ago – start her own blog. It amuses me that by the time I FINALLY got around to starting my own, blogging seems to be on its way out. Things like YouTube, Instagram and podcasts are over-riding the blogosphere, and I’m sorry about that. I do enjoy a good video or podcast, but there’s something special about writing. I know that’s where words flow easiest for me. So who cares if I’m five or ten years behind the times – I am starting my blog now and I’m going to enjoy it! :D

I will be following this post up with one that has a bit more “about me” if you’re curious, but for now, I’ll just quickly answer a few questions that may be lurking in your mind:

 • What kind of a blog is this? Good question! One that I wish I knew the answer to. I am not, strictly speaking, intending to plant myself in one particular area: for example, a fashion or photography blog. (For the record, I’m hopeless at fashion – my personal style could be described as: an attempt to make hand-me-downs look Stylish.) Perhaps lifestyle would be the best category, but it won’t be merely limited to what I’m doing and what I eat. (I will spare you that!) You can expect lots of faith-related, life thoughts/advice posts, some literature/movie posts, plenty of musical theatre tangents, some totally random stuff (like –dare I say it!– exercise) and whatever else takes my fancy. Hopefully, I will find my niche of what suits me and works best, but just give me a little time to sort myself out first. ;)


 • How often can I expect posts? This will probably change depending on what season of life I’m in, but I am hoping for the time being to post either once a week or once a fortnight. I will be stockpiling posts for the busier weeks, and hopefully keeping up a regular pattern as long as I am able.

 • Why the name of the blog? *sigh* To be honest, I’ve always struggled with titles. They rarely come naturally. I’m always one for alliteration, so, at the risk of sounding cheesy, I thought “Finding Freedom, Living Loved” captured the essence of my blog – and what I want it to bring across to the readers. I’m very passionate about helping others find freedom in their life and seeing the love that God has for them. I want the overall theme of my blog to shine upon that; the freedom and love found in Jesus. (Although I aim to stay as far away from ‘preachy’ as possible!)

 • Just WHY the blog? Well... why not? This has been on my heart for a long time. I have no goals, no aspirations as to how many followers I want or where I want to go with it– I just want to create a space on the internet that allows other people to gain a new perspective, find some inspiration, and always leave the screen feeling a little happier and light hearted than before.



Thank you to everyone who chooses to travel this same journey with me! I truly appreciate it. Xx I would love to get to know your heart as I share a bit about mine.

Until next time, friends!

9 comments:

  1. Eeeeek!!! You've done it!! Gabby, I'm so excited! Welcome to the world of blogging!! I've been feeling for a while that I'd really like to start blogging more regularly again, but you're definitely making me want to do it even more. And I just have to say, your first post was wonderful! Good job!

    Awww, yes. Those early days when I came along and confused everyone. Haha. I felt so bad because you had the name first and I felt like I was stealing it from you. But you were so kind about it and I really appreciated that. And I love how we've become friends since then. Remember when we first discovered each others real names? That seems like such a long time ago now. :)

    Well, I've officially followed you!! And I can't wait to see what you have in store for us! (You may notice that I'm listed in the followers section under my real name rather than my pen name. For some reason I've had trouble following blogs as Miss March ever since the beginning. I managed to get around it early on, but then blogger changed it's format and since then I simply cannot figure out how to get my blogger name to show up instead of my real name. It's very annoying, but it's not as of a big deal as it used to be since I don't mind people knowing my real name as much as I used to.)

    Anyway, all that to say, I'm so glad you've finally started a blog, Gabby!! I hope you have loads and loads of fun with it. I look forward to reading it!

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss March!!! :) And YES! You SHOULD blog more! ;) I've been missing your posts!

      Oh, I really didn't mind that much. And YOU were so nice about it, it really didn't matter!
      I know! That feels like forever ago... wow.

      Oh, that is weird. I wish I could help, but man, ever since launching this blog, I've realized how little I know about IT. :P You're my first follower; thank you. <3

      To be honest, I don't think I would have ever started my blog if it wasn't for all my dear friends, like you, who have encouraged me to do it. <3

      Delete
  2. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

    This is one of the biggest days in the blogsphere!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you guys! XD You're so sweet (and dramatic, haha)!

      Wouldn't be here without you. <3

      Delete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)