Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Anne & Gilbert

Dear Heidi over at Along the Brandywine is hosting a scrumptious Valentine's Day Period Drama Blog Party! If you are a romantic by any stretch of the imagination, hop on over and check it out! 

Today I will be contributing with a post dedicated to perhaps my ultimate favourite fictional couple ever:

Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe.

via Pinterest

Is it silly of me to say that I almost get shivers of delight when I hear their names mentioned, I just love them that much? Well, silly nonsensical girl that I am, I will be giving you some reasons as to why they're my favourite couple, although if you've seen the movie or read the book, I'm sure you don't need convincing.

I think perhaps the main reason I am so drawn to these two, is that their relationship is so real and raw and authentic. Their bickering and imperfections are relatable, and I much prefer that to any perfect and shiny romance where it's all sunshine and rainbows and wedding cake. I love that we get to see Anne and Gilbert all the way from their braid-pulling, slate-smashing school days up until they're both nursing their own infants, and tearfully waving goodbye as their little ones leave the nest one by one.

via Pinterest

Their relationship is full of history, depth, pride and forgiveness. They had their arguments, goodness knows, and they struggled through many difficulties.

They both battled pride for many years, and had to learn to sacrifice their own selfish desires and wants for the other, making the acts of kindness even sweeter. (I still get teary thinking about how Gilbert gave up the school at Avonlea for Anne. *wipes away happy tears*)

I think my favourite romances are those that form from a long-lasting friendship, and naturally blossom into something more. Give me that over a Marius-and-Cosette-love-at-first-sight story any day.

via Pinterest

Gilbert was persistent that he and Anne were meant to be together, and Anne was gracious in still wanting to keep their friendship bond without moving further into the relationship when she wasn't ready to. Looking back on it now, I realized that Gilbert's patience and Anne's value of their friendship over their romance has affected me quite a lot in regards to what I value in a relationship. My desires align with Anne's in that no matter how the romance turns out, the desire to remain friends is very strong and precious, if that ever be possible.

Their loyalty in their friendship to each other, even when they disagreed, was so sweet to behold. Think back to that time when Anne refused to let Gilbert take her to that event where she recited the poem, and yet Gilbert stood to applaud her in such a proud way when she performed so well. Or the complete desperation in Anne's tone and look when she had to turn Gilbert down but still desperately wanted him to see her as a friend who loved him. Their love was bigger than their pride or disagreements.

via Pinterest

Perhaps the reason I find their romance and love story so touching is because when two strong willed, obstinate, fiery, tenacious young people choose to love, their gentle tenderness is even more striking to behold. The hand that pulled the braid was later the one tucking her auburn hair behind her ear, before leaning in to kiss her. The girl that would yell with rage or even silently but pointedly loathe was now whispering softly, lovingly, with stars in her eyes.

Admittedly, I could spend hours talking about mushy, touching material, but instead, I am going to finish with perhaps my absolute favourite reason as to why I love Anne and Gilbert:

The incredible banter that these two have going. ;)



via Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. Anne and Gilbert are wonderful. I adore them and their relationship, how it goes from teasing on his part and rage on her part, to genuinely caring about each other and respecting each other for their good traits. For me, the series ends with them after the second film. I pretend the third movie does not exist.

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charity! I know - their relationship has such history and DEPTH. And yeah, the third film is pretty hard to watch... it kind of sits separate in my mind from the other Anne films - almost as if it's a completely different movie. The first and second are definitely the best. :) <3

      Delete
  2. I was really into this when I was younger and now desperate to see it all again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, these two. <3 Like you said, I especially love how their relationship starts out as a solid friendship! Such a beautiful foundation to build on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Exactly, Samantha! Imagine them telling their love story to their kids - how lovely. *happy sigh*

      Delete
  4. I love them in the books, and I love them in the films, though I have never seen the third one. Like you, I much prefer friends-to-lovers romances than the insta-love kind :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, me too! I love how I can enjoy their characters both in word form and visual. And I didn't know you hadn't seen the third one! Any particular reason? (It does have a lot of dirt on it and controversy, but I would still recommend giving it a watch at least once... unless there's something that really turns you off.)
      I'm glad we're agreed. :)

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen the third one because it came out when I was in college and I didn't have time to watch it, and because... I'm happy with how the second one ends, and I don't really want to mess with that ending in my head, basically. I like just flowing from the end of movie two into their marriage in the books.

      Delete
    3. Oh, okay, well that makes sense. :) The second one DOES end so wonderfully. <3

      Delete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)