Friday, September 25, 2020

EOWYN: Shieldmaiden of Rohan

I no joke get SO excited about Rachel's Annual Tolkien Party every year, and since I actually have my own blog this time around, I felt the urge to contribute at least one extra post. It's been a hot minute since I've watched or read any Tolkien, I must admit, but his stories run deep in my mind, so I shall write this nonetheless.

After giving it some thought, I decided to write an Eowyn appreciation post, because I probably admire her the most out of all the female LOTR characters. And I hope, by the end of this, you will admire her, too. (If you don't already!)

EOWYN.

Dear, darling, Eowyn. 

How I pity you, and admire you, and feel so proud of how far you've come.

You are one of my all-time favourite female characters; I swear I learn something from you every time I encounter your story.

First of all, you lose your cousin. Then, your brother is banished by your uncle, who you see on a daily basis being overpowered by the wickedness of Grima. You are stuck inside with a greasy-haired creep who stalks you and watches your every move. (Shivers.)

Later on, you meet Aragorn, who you understandably fall for. Yet, he does not return your love. At one point, you are told that he is dead, and hope begins to slip away. Going disguised, you join the army out to battle, kindly taking Merry along with you, because you feel his pain of not being able to help his friends or fight alongside them. In the face of the Witch-King, you still stand and wield a sword, eventually bringing him to his knees and conquering him. Unafraid of death, you fall onto the battlefield, unconscious from pain. 

Your uncle is now dead, your body now weak, and your hope quickly fading.

And then who do you meet?

Another, who has known pain and sorrow like you. Someone who has gentleness and strength from a painful past. Someone who is fighting alone as well. Faramir. 

He finds you in the Houses of Healing, and he never leaves your side. Your hope has nearly disappeared completely, and the life has almost gone out of you. But not quite. You are stronger than that.

Faramir reminds you of what you've known all along; that hope still remains. He sees you for who you  truly are - a shieldmaiden of Rohan, who is stronger and more courageous than many an honoured warrior. For though you faced intense darkness, never once did you give up. Never once did you back down. You fought with every breath inside of you for what you knew to be good and true and honourable. Even though others doubted you, you proved that stature and status does not make a hero - the courage to do what is right and the strength to carry it out does.

You remind me that even though I may feel small and useless, strength and courage can take many different forms. And whether or not I ever brandish a sword or win a battle, I can choose to fight for what is good and true and honourable. Even though I fall. Because, just as Faramir did for you, I know there is Someone out there who will pick me up, stand by my side, and remind me that there is always hope.


May we all have the courage and strength that Eowyn showed to stand and fight for truth and hope, and may we never forget the One who is fighting right beside us. 

10 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhh... *sniffs* I LOVED THIS!!!! It's so very, /very/ beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, thank you so much, Heidi! Your comment made me so happy :') <3

      Delete
  2. I love this! So beautiful, and well said. Eowyn is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Samantha! And I agree - Eowyn IS the best. :D

      Delete
  3. This. THIS. This post has made me appreciate Eowyn so much more than before! I don't know exactly why, but I've never really been able to like her. I think it's because I was compared to her when I am the opposite and that confused me? I'm really not sure, but I know that I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much, MovieCritic! Honestly, your comment made my day. :) That's exactly what I hoped would happen when writing it - even if just made one person like Eowyn that little bit more. :) Ah, I see - that could be annoying, being compared to someone you don't even LIKE, haha. Perhaps because she was unrelatable you didn't like her? I would personally consider it a high compliment to be likened to Eowyn. ;)
      But anyhow - thank you!!

      Delete
  4. Eowyn is a magnificent character and you do her justice here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, Charity. That's very sweet of you. :)

      Delete
  5. UM OKAY THIS IS BEAUTIFUL AND WHO IS CUTTING ONIONS?!

    You managed to capture all the things I love about this story in general, Eowyn as a character, and the Farawyn romance in particular through this short post. Thank you. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. STOP IT YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE *ME* CRY.

      Aww, thank you, Olivia. That means SO much coming from you. :) <3

      Delete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)