Thursday, February 13, 2020

5 Reasons Why I Journal (+ a little message)


Spending Sunday afternoon with lots of iced coffee & all of my memories of New York— finally have some time to journal my adventures ✨ I hope you're all having a lovely Sunday! ♡
Via Pinterest
Well, I guess it’s kind of obvious I’m talking about journaling today. Are there any other journalists (not in the career sense, haha) out there? ;) Or maybe it’s just old-fashioned me?
Perhaps I should make it clear, before I start, that when I say ‘journaling’ I don’t necessarily mean “Dear Diary, today I...” That’s a diary. There’s a difference. To my knowledge, diaries are for everyday use of the more mundane experiences, merely keeping records and recording things such as daily habits and the weather. Journals are used for more important experiences; they’re generally more personal and involve more of one’s feelings and thoughts. Not that it really matters, but y’know, I like to be accurate. :P

I started journaling when I was 10 years of age. My very first entry was the day my little brother was born (I only intended to enter important and interesting information, so that seemed like an obvious choice at the time). To being with, I was terribly inconsistent, and sometimes would write a few times a year, and other times would write multiple times a week. I’ve had ten journals since then, and that was over eight years ago. I later went through a phase (of a few years' worth), where I would faithfully write in it every day. When life got busier, it turned to ‘whenever I have time’. I recently started a new journal and decided to go back to a daily entry, as I find that suits me best. So here I get to my first reason:

love these vintage novels hand covered in pretty vintage floral fabric and linen and handmade with ribbon book mark. Click through to see beautifully vintage & Liberty fabric recovered old book classics including Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice, Emma, Sense & Sensibility, Daphne du Maurier, Jane Eyre, Brontes, Anne of Green Gables and so many other classic novels made into the perfect upcycled gift #vintagebooks #janeausten #handmadegifts #anneofgreengables #frombritainwithlove #upcyccled
Via Pinterest
1. Mental organization – Literally, journaling gives me extra brain room. No joke! I get to the point where I have so many thoughts, ideas and emotions swirling around in my brain that I can’t even concentrate on a book. That’s when I know it’s time to write it down. It’s like a form of self-care for me; it helps me get it off my chest and see my feelings and thoughts clearer. Often times I understand myself better when I make myself write it down.

 

2.  Accurate information – Because sometimes, it’s important to know whether or not you wore your white dress or your navy dress to your cousin’s wedding. ;) And sometimes flicking through your old journals can help solve family debates about certain events (whether or not we REALLY had three tubs of ice cream for dessert that one night or not). A number of times I’ve even used my old journals for things like remembering when I went to the dentist last! (Yeah, maybe I should organize that information outside of my journals... :P)

3. Clearer memories – This is partly sentimental for me, but I love being able to remember the smallest details about things that no one else remembers, simply because I wrote them down. Just like photos help us remember what something looks like, journals can also help us remember what it looked like outside of the photo, how we felt, what we noticed, what we smelt, what was said, what we experienced... all the precious memories that get lost. I love recording funny, totally random conversations I have with people (even strangers!) because I know I’ll forget them, and I don’t want to. I want to remember what I’ve learnt, and store up everything I’ve experienced. 

Beautiful view; journaling #journal #coffee #view #relax
Via Pinterest

4. An improved memory – Okay, so this one is very similar to the one before, except that I mean it in the present tense. The one before was about memories you look back on – this one I mean your actual MEMORY. I have a MUCH better memory for things if I write them down... just like how my Mum made me write down notes for science in school, and the definition of every list word I had to spell. It sticks a lot better. So I’ve found that whenever I have a conversation with someone, and later record the main points of it in my journal, then I’ll be much better at remembering what was said to them next time I see them. It’s so much less awkward than repeating yourself constantly, and it also makes the other person feel special because you remembered them.

5. Sentimental Benefit – Honestly, being able to flip through my journals and find out exactly what I was doing and thinking five years ago, three years ago or even one year ago, is reason alone for me to journal. I’m a sentimental sop, I’ll admit it. But I’m truly blown away every time I do it – to think that one year ago my biggest fear was driving, or to think that two years ago I was struggling with the exact issue I'm struggling with now... Journaling helps me to see clearly how far I’ve come, how each season of life feels challenging, and yet we still make it, and then THAT season prepares us to face the next, until we’re staring our giants of five years ago in the face, realizing that... they are no longer giants. They are what have helped us grow the most, and be who we are now.

Via Pinterest
      So I want to leave you, friend, with this little message. Don’t run away from the things that scare you, because chances are, those are the things that are going to change your life and grow you like nothing else will. Stand firm, have courage, and ride that wave. You were born to do great things. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes and work hard – it will only push you forwards. And soon you’ll look back, and be amazed at just how far you’ve come!  

      So tell me! Do you journal? And if you don’t, have I convinced you to give it a go? ;) Hope you all have a fantastic Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. I journal and I do it for all of the same reasons you do! I especially have to write things down because I get really worried that I will forget it and with journaling it stores the memories away. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly! Glad to know I'm not the only one. :) Thank you!

      Delete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)