Thursday, February 27, 2020

Of Podcasts and Plays, Rain and Reflection

Hey friends!

I thought I'd do a slightly different post today, although it's one that you're probably familiar with. It's one of those "what I'm currently doing" posts... because they're always fun, right? ;)

Currently, I am:


Catching up on - heh, EVERYTHING. I just got back from a week long mini holiday/road trip/wedding, so now I'm trying to get my life back together get back to all the things I left behind.

Reading - "Little Women" by Louisa May Alcott, and I have no idea how many times I've read it now. It's been a few years, though, so I thought it was high time for it. (And also, I just read "Rebecca" and "Jane Eyre" and I REALLY needed some uplifting, easy literature in my life.) It's as good as it's always been. (If you've never read it, well... I have no words.)
I also just finished "Love Does" by Bob Goff, and greatly enjoyed that one. I would say I actually enjoyed "Everybody, Always" even more, but they're both refreshing and witty. He's a captivating writer, and it's very thought-provoking material. Highly recommend!

Imagem de Cris Figueiredo
Via Pinterest


Watching - TV shows, mostly. Nearing the end of Season 4 "Gilmore Girls" (and to be honest, I think I'll give it a break because you can have too much of a good thing ;) And also Lorelei and Rory are making some really silly decisions that Annoy And Vex Me Greatly). I'm also re-watching "White Collar" with my older sisters and wow, it's as good as I remember. If you haven't seen it, please put it on your list - it's my favourite TV show EVER!
I'm also watching "The Musketeers" with one of my sisters, which is quite riveting.

Listening to - lots of podcasts. My new obsession, I think. Currently delving into the "EnneaSummer 2019" series on the show "That Sounds Fun" by Annie F. Downs. It's all about the Enneagram personality numbers and I find it absolutely fascinating. It's wonderfully presented, and has it all from a Christian perspective as well which I greatly appreciate. If you're a little skeptical, it's truly helped me learn to love other people better because I can better UNDERSTAND them. (Also, if you ARE into it, let's talk! What number are you? I'm a 2w3.)

Learning - so much. Learning how to tap dance (!!), learning how to talk to God more, learning how to make an omelette well, learning how to be more open and honest with people, learning the Sherlock theme on the piano, learning how to canter well on a horse, learning what my motives really are behind my actions, learning how to use gentle, kind and encouraging words when I want to let fly a sarcastic comment... learning and growing never ends.

Gal Meets Glam Lilac Season - Hat from Lily Charleston
Via Pinterest

Daydreaming about - being in musical theatre, what it would be like to live alone, and always, the beach.

Singing - multiple songs! (Not all at once though, haha.) I'm learning five at the moment with my singing teacher - "Children Will Listen" from Into the Woods, "In My Dreams" from Anastasia, "Your Grace Still Amazes Me" by Craig and Dean Phillips, "The Lass With the Delicate Air" by Michael Arne, and "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess. (And of course, any Disney song ever.)

Writing - a new play script! I'm super excited about it - I have written down a rough outline, with heaps of notes on separate fly-away pages, and I just have to pull them all out and join them into one cohesive play. Sounds easy, right? I'm also eager to try my hand at writing a song myself as that's something I've never done, and I have some ideas on it (though I'm not sure how well I'll do).

Appreciating - all the green grass that has sprung up the past couple weeks. Most of you would know about the fires that have been ravaging our country, so it's an even more exciting thing to see the summer rains FINALLY come at the last month of summer. Our tanks are finally full, and there is luscious green grass right outside my window. It's beautiful (and also reminds me of a rain forest).

Purple flowers iPhone 5s Wallpaper Download | iPhone Wallpapers, iPad wallpapers One-stop Download
Via Pinterest

Failing at - keeping up with some of my goals. Honestly, I think I always bite off more than I can chew. ;) But especially with my flexibility goals - I went to do my stretching last night, and guys, I couldn't even touch my toes! I've definitely lost all my progress... have also been failing at keeping up a proper exercise routine, and keeping rigidly to a lactose free diet which I've been asked to trial. (Guys, chocolate and ice cream is just too nice! How can I say no?!)

Meditating on - living a life that means something. You know, I had ample time for lots of life reflections during our giant road trip down to Sydney, and I had a lot of thoughts. One thing I'm always regretting is spending too much time online or doing trivial, selfish things, when I could have been building up relationships and loving others better... and also just DOING MORE REAL LIFE THINGS.
So I figured it was time to practice self-control; one thing that I had been letting take control was my time spent on Instagram, so I decided to log out, take the app off my phone for an unknown length of time, and use my spare time to do other things. Instead of looking at social media, I want to make my own memories - and what's more, I don't even want to share them with anyone other than the people I made them with. Because that's part of the magic. That's part of the memory. There's nothing wrong with sharing things on social media, but after awhile, it really can distort your view on reality (at least for me) and soon you find yourself doing things just for the sake of a post on Instagram. And that's not how I want to live my life!
So I want to replace scrolling on my phone with walks outside; I want to swap YouTube videos for baking days with my siblings. I want to exchange screen time with real time - time spent reading good books, talking with friends, making music, learning a new skill, making a cake, drawing a picture, rehearsing a play... these are all things I want to pursue and hone in on. I want to live my life not just for others but WITH others. That doesn't mean I'm going to only read my Bible and volunteer at a local church all of my days; it just means I want to be more intentional with what I'm choosing to say yes to, and what I'm giving a no.

This is something God's really placed on my heart of late. Even reading "Little Women" has reminded me of all the fun that can come from simple activities shared with the ones you love! So if you're currently feeling stuck or unhappy, maybe try a new perspective or a new angle. Switch it up a bit, and pursue the things in life that will have a lasting effect.

Take this quiz to find out what you should do when you want to switch it up this summer!
Via Pinterest

And that's all for now! I realize this is a super random post, but hey, life isn't one simple cookie-cutter experience. It's a mess, and it's a beautiful one. ;)
Now I challenge you to go out and spread some sunshine to those around you!

5 comments:

  1. Aww, Gabby! This was an excellent post! Thank you! I very much enjoyed reading it, and your thoughts at the end were so good! I feel you on that one. I know for myself I can get stuck in a rut where I'm spending so much time online, just checking my email or blogs or something, just because I'm bored and want something to entertain me. But then at the same time I feel so starved for simple pleasures, like reading a good book or going for a walk or just spending real kind of time with the people I love most. I need to be more intentional about "switching things up" as you say, and being a bit more creative with what I do. (Anyway, yeah...thank you for all that you said on that subject. It was encouraging to read, and challenging as well. :))

    Also, I just wanted to say "Yay for Little Women!" I'm so glad you're reading it again and enjoying it! I love that book! I don't know how many times I've read it either, but it's always good! :)

    You're learning how to tap dance?? That's awesome! If I was going to learn any kind of dance it would probably be tap. It's just such a fun kind of dance. :)

    Oh girl, I feel you! Failing at the whole exercise thing is me ALL THE TIME! Except I can't actually even say I'm failing at it...in the sense that I've set goals for myself and am not keeping them...because, well, I haven't even gotten so far as to set goals! I just say to myself periodically that I really need to start exercising and eating healthier and all that, but I never actually take steps towards it. So if it makes you feel any better at least you're doing a better job at healthy living than I am. ;)

    Thanks again for this post. It was great to hear from you!

    ~Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Alyssa! :) I'm glad it was encouraging and challenging for you!

      Yesss! I have SO MUCH LOVE for Little Women. <3 <3 It's underappreciated in general, in my opinion.

      Yes! I finally got onto dance lessons, and I'm SO glad I went with tap! I'm only on week five but I'm already loving it. The dance school I'm with is very chill and fun, and they're all about helping people with where they're at, so there's no pressure or stress. It's super fun - I'd highly recommend it. :)

      Haha, oh Alyssa. XD But yes, it's a definite struggle. That's actually a topic I want to address in the near future on this blog, because I have learnt a lot of tips on how to accomplish it better and not make a big scary deal out of it! So if you want any tips on health and fitness, keep an eye out for that, haha. ;)

      Thanks for commenting. <3

      Delete
  2. Great post, Gabby! <3

    Ooooh girl. I love Enneagram typing! And MBTI typing. Like you said, it's soooooo helpful in reminding me that no, everyone doesn't see the world exactly the way I do--and that that's okay!! I use it in my writing, too, all the time, trying to pin down my character's motivations.

    I'm INFP 4w5. Which probably isn't too surprising to you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie!!

      Yasss someone else! *fist-bumps* I had that realization the other day, actually, at how incredibly helpful (and more accurate) typing story characters would be, as it creates believable and consistent motives. So clever!

      Ooohh, awesome! 4w5 though... that makes a whooole lotta sense haha. ;) But I think 4's are so cool! Honestly, I think every number is cool though, haha. I'm an ENFJ 2w3. Which apparently surprises some people, and makes other people go "ohhh yep that's you". *shrugs* Lots of people think I'm a 7, haha. I'm just an enthusiastic, outgoing 2. ;)

      Thanks for commenting! <3

      Delete
    2. *fist bumps*

      Yepppppppppppppppp. No-one who knows Enneagram is surprised to hear I'm 4w5, I think ;-) Oh yes, totally agree!!! Every number is cool, in its own way, just like every MBTI type is cool in its own way :D And I can totally see you being a 2!

      Delete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)