Monday, May 4, 2020

Thank you for Peter

Dandelion Wallpaper Dandelion Falling Apart Widescreen Wallpaper
Via Pinterest

The other day I was reading 2 Peter in my Bible and had a thought strike me.

This is Peter... he's writing these letters about the grace of God and the calling and election of God's people after everything else that happened before.

He who is writing about the testing of faith is the same man who began to doubt and slip as he was walking on the water towards Jesus.

He who is writing about holiness is the same man who denied Jesus three times when he swore he would never do so.

He who is writing about virtue and love is the same man who failed so many times, and seemed so confused.

Oh Lord, I whispered, thank you for Peter.

Thank you that there is some one else out there who fails just like me. Someone who let fear take over his faith in moments of doubt. Someone who messed up and did things he could never undo. 
Thank you that you let this man contribute his letters to Scripture, because he reminds me of myself.

But what I am even more thankful for is how he shows me how great You are, God. 

Peter used to be doubtful and fearful, and yet later he talked in front of crowds with confidence and boldness, speaking words of truth and standing firm. He was a changed man. But it wasn't of him. It was of You.

But what strikes me the most, is how You never left him. You never left him. When he was doubtful, You never shook your head in frustration or sternly commanded him to try harder. All You ever did was love him. You forgave him. You were goodness itself.

Thank you, Jesus, that there is grace enough for Peter, because that means there is grace enough for me.

No matter the size of our mistake, no matter how many times we mess up or give in to fear, You always give us grace. There is always grace enough.

Your grace and goodness is far greater than any fear or sin we bring to You. There is no mountain too big, no mistake too deep for You. You are always enough. You are more than enough.

via Pinterest

I know a lot of people who love the apostle Paul and his writing (and I agree, it is always so life-giving for me to read!) and other people who love David or Solomon's writing. Of course I appreciate all of them, but there is always a little part of me that relates to Peter that little bit more. Perhaps because he seems so real and flawed and relatable.

And because in all his mistakes, I see God's view of me even clearer.
When Peter began to sink into the water, Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him and said, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"

He didn't rebuke Peter, He didn't tell him he should have tried harder; He simply reminded him there was no need to doubt God's goodness and faithfulness. I can just imagine the gentle tone that Jesus would have asked Peter why he doubted.

When Peter denied Jesus three times, Jesus never said a word about it afterwards. He was already forgiven.

I love Peter because his life reminds me that God's first words to us are always of love. We are forgiven. We are loved.
There is grace enough for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)