Sunday, July 25, 2021

Dream Big or Dream Small?

Hey friends! 
I hope you've all been keeping well. I know I have been quite absent here lately. Since starting back at work with no commitments like theatre, I have been rather swamped all over again, and haven't even found the time to crack open a book, let alone write a post. :( I am endeavoring to correct that, but in the meantime, here is a post I wrote a few months ago for just such an occasion.

via Pinterest

Is it just me, or does the word dream scare you a little?

There are so many different songs and books and movies and stories to do with that one word, and they all have a different opinion on what it should mean.

DREAM BIG.

That's something I have seen all over Pinterest, on posters, as movie taglines, on T-shirts, even the title of books! It seems to be everywhere you look, the world is telling you through this song or on that inspirational quote that we must dream big. Even the Christian author, Bob Goff, has written a book (and has a podcast!) called "'Dream Big". 

So what does it really mean? And what about those books I've read or messages I've heard (especially in conservative, reformed groups) where the Christian circles are pressing in on us saying, "No, dream small! Don't focus your whole life on yourself, or on your own self-centred dreams!"

DREAM SMALL.

I'm sure a lot of women would be rubbed the wrong way if they heard what I've heard, that we as women should not dare to dream much bigger than being a homemaker, a wife, and a mother. I have even heard a Christian song entitled "Dream Small."

So now I'm confused. Christians themselves are telling us two different things! So which is it?! Does God want us to dream big or to dream small? Or is it not about dreams anyway?

First of all, I thought I'd add here a few Bible verses that I believe speak into this, in a way. (Would love to hear some others that have spoken to you in regards to this if you have any to share!)

Psalm 37:4 - "Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."

Proverbs 16:9 - "The heart of man plans his ways, but the Lord establishes his steps."

Proverbs 3:5-6 - "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Romans 12:2 - "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds, that by testing you may discern the will of God, and what is good and acceptable and perfect."

Ephesians 3:20 - "...Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we could ask or think, according to the power that is at work within us..."

These are some things I have been pondering on, and I have a few Thoughts that I would like to share with you. I understand this could be a slightly controversial - perhaps even sensitive - topic for some, and I respect that. I am open to discuss further with this and hear other view points, as I believe many different perspectives are helpful! So here is mine.

via Pinterest

MY THOUGHTS.

After some pondering and prayer, I came to this conclusion. 

I believe dreams are very specific to us, and sometimes, they're just meant to be between God and ourselves. Dreaming big or dreaming small is perhaps the wrong terminology, as I do not believe one to be bigger or better or more impressive than the other. Indeed, I don't believe one is "right" and one is "wrong". 

Our dreams are beautiful, but they are so unique, hand-crafted by God, shaped to fit our exact personality and longings and talents. Maybe you have a dream of being a business owner, or a famous actress, or one of the world's leading scientists. That's amazing! But what if Laura down the street just wants to be a mother and raise babies in a loving home? That's amazing, too!

A "small" dream may be what's best for you (and who's to say small is less, anyway? Or even small at all? Why is it looked down upon if your biggest battles are fought in learning how God wants you to raise this next generation and leave a legacy for him?)... but God might be whispering something different to my heart. Or vice versa. And that's okay!

We NEED Christians in music, art, business, politics, medical fields, hospitality, education, in every neighbourhood... God can use us anywhere, in any situation. The world needs to hear the Gospel everywhere, and to witness the love of God that is to be poured out through His people... and definitely not just on a missionary field. 

We are each here for a reason. There are no two paths the same, no two dreams the same. Dream big or dream small - it doesn't matter. You are right where you need to be, as long as you're going after the dream that God has placed within your heart, pursing God and His heart...the God Who created you and the dream within you.

via Pinterest

P.S. And for those of you who don't even know what dream it is He has laid upon your heart, don't be afraid or discouraged. Just ask Him. And I bet you, it won't be long before you hear the whisper of God in your heart, leading you to where He'll meet you in even deeper ways, and where you'll find what you were made to do. And spoiler alert - it is rarely one simple thing, but so deep and fulfilling that it will take a lifetime to pursue. 

6 comments:

  1. Well said! Excellent post, Gabby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've kind of been thinking along the same lines recently (it must be going around). Dream big,or dream small. What's the difference...etc. Nice to know I'm not the only one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really neat that you've been thinking the same yourself, Lissy! We can wonder these things together. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like we have very similar perspectives on this! "Dreams" -- in the sense of life goals, plans, aspirations, etc. -- are very individualized. We need to be faithful to try to discern what God wants from US, and not start policing other people's dreams as if we're the ones who get to decide whether they're in accordance with God's will for that person. <3

    Btw, stopping by to let you know that I've nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award!

    https://meanwhileinrivendell.blogspot.com/2021/09/sunshine-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes and amen. <3 Our imagination is so limited in comparison to God's, anyway.

      Ooohh, thank you, Olivia! That might be just the thing to help me get back on my blogging toes, with a fun lil' tag post. :D

      Delete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)