Sunday, October 10, 2021

Life Update Ft. Hydro Classes & Saying No

 Hello dear friends!

It has been a shamefully long time. I will be the first to admit I have neglected my poor little blog, and my dear blogger friends. I have sorely neglected reading all your marvelous posts that I know are still being published. I promise it is not for lack of interest that I refrain from reading them. Quite honestly, it is such a difficult choice to determine whether one uses their precious 15 minutes for whipping up a speedy blog post that details one's absence from the literary world, or to catch up on as many of my friends' endless amounts of posts that have been compiling. I decided, for today at least, to do the former, as I couldn't possibly get around to all my friends, and this will at least reach as many of them as will take the time to read it. 

So! Where have I been? What's been happening? Am I in another play? Have I thrown out my laptop or given up blogging? (For the latter, a clue: no.)

via Pinterest

I'm not sure if the answer will disappoint or excite you. There is, in fact, no one particular answer. Work is perhaps the one word that covers up a multitude of the time that has elapsed. I still continue to work at my two jobs, putting in roughly 40 hours a week. I continue to do my tap dancing lessons and singing lessons, and daydream about getting on stage again. 

Which leads me to saying that no, I am not in another show as of right now. Indeed, I have but auditioned for one small part since the ending of Anne of Green Gables, which did not amount to anything. There have been several casting calls come and go, but none that called my name. I have decided that, despite my passion for theatre, it is not so important that I will sacrifice what I consider to be a good show, good morals and a good message for another opportunity just to feel the spotlight on my face again. That may seem rather obvious, but believe me, it can be hard. When you are truly craving to tell a story onstage, it's very difficult to see an opportunity, and choose to pass it up, not knowing when the next one will come your way. But, prayer and patience have led me to where I am. I believe if we are faithful in what God calls us to do, He will be faithful in making a way for us. I have seen Him do it time and time again. 

via Pinterest

Saying no, in general, has always been difficult for me. It's the hardest two letters I ever have to say. And I rarely say it, much to my disadvantage. An opportunity? Yes! A new friend? Yes! A new challenge? Yes! 

But I completely ignore the fact that, in saying yes to something, you automatically say no to something else. And you don't even realize it, sometimes. But in saying yes to that extra social event, I'm saying no to more time with family. Or, in saying yes to working back late, I am saying no to getting any time for reading that day. (Or week... or month. 😭) I swear I re-prioritize my life basically every other week. And I'm not proud about it.

One thing I have said yes to, however, is hydro classes. Yes, those "do-a-workout-in-a-pool-with-a-group-of-strangers" situations. (I know, I can't believe it either.) But, you see, my justification was that it is now coming closer to summer, the weather is already heating up, and I'm getting sick of strength workouts & pilates. So, I decided, I would mix up my fitness routine (also creating more motivation) by taking up swimming 2-3 times a week at my local pool (that's roughly a 6 minute drive from my house). I signed up for a 3 month pass, thinking I would finally become a stronger swimmer and get a total body workout each time. Little did I know that my pass also encompassed access to a gym, and 7 or so other pools around my area, AND hydro classes/gym classes. (To be honest, I'm probably going to skip the gym, because I prefer to do that at home, by myself.) 

So, I walked into my local pool's office the other week, half wanting to run back out and drive home because I felt so stupid and scared, and half wanting to run into the bathrooms and hide till it was over. But I jumped into the pool, right as they were about to start their aqua kickboxing class. Nervously, I scooted my way over to that side of the pool, and was silently but smilingly welcomed into the group. And I haven't left since. ;) The classes are short but pack a lot in, and I can do it around my work hours (most of the time), which makes it convenient. And the sun is setting right around when we wrap up, and I have discovered that a sunset swim after a stressful day at work is just what the doctor orders. (And believe me, it would be way less desirable if the pool wasn't heated - but thankfully, it is.) 

via Pinterest

So there you go; I highly recommend you try a hydro class if you've always been wanting to, and I also encourage you to practice mindfulness when you say yes to something, and when you say no. 

I could go on and on about some of the crazy good shows I've been able to see the past couple months, or how much music I've been practicing, or how I went wakeboarding/tow-surfing for the first time... but we'll leave that for later. ;) I'm sorry it's been so long, and I'd like to make blogging something I can do more than once every 3 months! But till next time, take care of yourselves and find something to smile about today! :) <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)