Wednesday, December 22, 2021

The Little Women Book Tag

I've seen this tag going around, and since Little Women is my favourite book, I just HAVE to do it, don't I? ;) I picked up my questions from Eva at Coffee, Classics and Craziness.


Marmee - A Wise And Nurturing Read 

I present to you "Rhythms of Renewal" by Rebekah Lyons. That book is very comforting and definitely fits the bill in my opinion. It's a Christian book speaking into managing stress and anxiety, and replacing it with peace and purpose. It's very practical and helpful, while also a pleasant read. 

Jo - A Book You Can't Live With/Can't Live Without 

Hmm.. I'm not really sure what this means? I feel like maybe Charles Dickens books in general give me this vibe? I read them and get frustrated by characters within them (that I sure wouldn't be able to live with!), but then I keep continually coming back to his stories. (I think I've read over 8 now?) It's a weird relationship, haha. So for the sake of picking one of them, I'll go with "Our Mutual Friend" by Charles Dickens. It drives me bonkers but I'm still weirdly drawn to it and consistently enjoy it. 

Meg - A Book You Accidentally Damaged

Can I just say this was such a hilariously clever idea? xD "Accidentally damaged". Meg's poor hair couldn't agree more, haha. Ahem. ANYWAYS, my answer for this would definitely be "Les Miserables" by Victor Hugo. A friend lent me their copy, and since it was a huge book with a poor binding job, it began to fall apart about halfway through my reading it. Luckily, my dad is a bookbinder, so he was able to take it to work and give it a little love and I was able to return it to my friends good as new - if not better. 

Beth - A Cozy Book 

Without a doubt, "Bread & Wine" Shauna Niequist. ALL. THE. WAY. It is the most scrumptious book ever. Literal comfort food, but in words. Basically all her writing is, though. (I've now read "Present Over Perfect" and "Cold Tangerines" in addition to this one, and they're all equally incredible.) I could eat up all her books, regardless of if they're about food.

Amy - A Pretty Book 

Well, I've seen plenty of lovely books in shops that made me drool through the window, but going from ones I own, I'll say "Romanov" by Nadine Brandes. It's got a DIVINE front cover! (And I won it in a giveaway she hosted, which was pretty epic. ;))


Mr. March - A Book You're Embarrassed You Forgot

Well, going on the assumption that this is a book I forgot existed, I'm going to say "Phantom of the Opera" by Gaston Leroux. I proudly know and love the musical, but I totally forget that it originated from a book! However, I do confess, it is still waiting on my to-read list. My library got rid of it before I was able to borrow it, and I was Quite Put Out. :P

Laurie - A Fun Book 

Originally, I was going to say "The Black Arrow" by Robert Louis Stevenson, but it's been so long since I read it, I'm not sure if fun is the correct adjective. (It was enjoyable, I can tell you that much!) So I am going to switch answers and say "Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain. Even if you grew up with the story, have you read the book?! Seriously, Mark is a GENIUS and it is absolutely hilarious and definitely fittingly described as fun.

Professor Bhaer - The Classic You Are Most Proud Of Reading 

Since I've already used "Les Miserables", I'm going to go with "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. It's quite an intimidating size, but wow, wow, WOW is it a good book! Highly, highly recommend. I'm planning on re-reading it again this summer.

John - A Sweet Character/Book 

"An Old Fashioned Girl" by Louisa May Alcott (I had to slip her in somehow, didn't I? ;)). It is both a sweet book AND the main character, Polly, is extremely sweet herself. Granted, this book is very fluffy and slow-paced, but it's delightful if you want a cozy, wholesome story. 


And since we're on the topic of "Little Women" - do you have a preference for a movie adaption? I love the 1994 movie and the 2017 miniseries. I've seen an older version (with Elizabeth Taylor) and the newer version (with Emma Watson), and while I appreciate all for different reasons, the book can't be topped, in my opinion. <3

4 comments:

  1. Charles Dickens is definitely a can't live with/can't live without for me, too--I always forget how much I enjoy them, but they take me so long to read! (Well, the longer ones do. Tale of Two Cities only took a couple of days.)

    Your dad is a bookbinder?? THAT IS SO COOL! My sister dabbles in bookbinding, so she's gotten friends out of similar pinches in the past...

    Romanov has SUCH a beautiful cover!

    Hm. I've only seen the 1994 (which I was very sleepy for), and the new one, and I like them both, though, as you say, for different reasons! But I also agree with you that the book is the obvious best version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Like, you forget how much you enjoy them until you make yourself sit down and read it, and then you're like, "Oh, that's right, I really like this". XD (A Tale of Two Cities was so saaaaad. :( I mean it's Dickens, but that particular one. *sniffles*)

      Haha, it definitely comes in handy, especially for bookworms! ;)

      It really does. <3

      Yes, Little Women is definitely a case where a movie will never surpass the book. That's the problem when it's infinitely superior.

      Delete
  2. Your dad being a bookbinder is just about the coolest thing I've ever heard. Wowza.

    I need to stop doing tags, but this one looks so fun! *heart eyes* I may have to steal it...

    I have just over a hundred pages left in The Count of Monte Cristo, and I hope to finish it up before the year ends. We'll see how well that works...

    I hope you are having a lovely holiday season! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, it is pretty cool. I always enjoy telling people that, when they ask what my dad does. (When I say "My dad is a bookbinder and my mum was an artist", I feel like I should therefore be some sort of author or illustrator?)

      Oh definitely feel free to - you'd only be stealing from a thief anyway. ;)

      How exciting! I got this gorgeous copy of The Count of Monte Cristo for Christmas, so I'm now just over 150 pages in and can't put it down. :D

      Thank you! A Happy New Year to you!

      Delete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)