Friday, January 24, 2020

Lessons From a Cafe

Do you daydream a lot? I do. I'm constantly catching myself gazing off into somewhere, with a funny smile on my lips. 
perfect texture added to this lovely shot
Via Pinterest
Just today, a friend reminded me of something. She pointed out how far I've come in the last eighteen months or so. (That friend is also my work boss.) 
When I first started working at the quaint, little cafe that I am at currently, I was employed as a dish washer - literally. ;) I would wash dishes, wipe tables, clear tables, or carry food and beverages out to tables. It was safe, I was good at it, and it didn't make my stomach churn with nerves. 

However, I was old enough to handle a little more, and encouraged to do so. I had previously completed a barista certificate and done a latte art course in addition, but I was terrified to actually make a coffee for a customer. Like, what if I made it and it tastes awful? What if the customer yells at me, or takes their coffee back for a refund? (How humiliating!) My brain would think of the worst possible scenario, and then multiply it by three. So I would practice making coffees for myself and other staff members and little by little, gradually introduced making customers'. Next I was taught how to make the food, which was slightly less daunting for some reason. (Maybe because you could hide somewhat behind a bench so people couldn't see you as well. Who knows!) Eventually, I was also taught how to 'serve' (do the customer service at the till) which would literally make my hands shake. I clearly can't hide my nerves - I even had customers ask me if I was alright, and then tell me to take deep breaths and relax because it was fine. (Yeah, I've gotten better at it, guys.) 
I was nervous as heck and scared to death. But I did it! I pushed through, I made those coffees, plated up those meals, and tried really hard not to mess up the change. (That's with the machine telling you how much change to give.) 
I'm not a confident person when it comes to new things. Before that job, I had unknowingly lived in my safe, little comfort zone for a very long time, and barely stuck my big toe outside of it. But learning new skills at the cafe was like a kick in the pants, pushing me out of my familiar little circle. 
It sucked at first, but I learnt a lot. And I grew, both in my skills and as a person.
Via Pinterest
Knowing all that, what my friend said today at work really hit home to me. She described what I was like eighteen months before, and how now, today even, I can serve customers and make drinks and whip out meals like nobody's business, without a care in the world. It's second nature to me now. My comfort zone has expanded. It now encircles the cafe, and perhaps a little bit more. 
January alone has helped me step out into uncharted territory, and while I may not have literally shaken like I used to, there was certainly some moments where my stomach dropped a little. 
It really is so encouraging to look back over what you used to struggle with - I find reading old journals reminds me of so much that I've forgotten! - and see how God has worked you through that. It gives you hope and strength to carry on with whatever giant you might be facing right now. To remember that, even though we still have a long way to go, we have already come so far. So whatever is worrying you today, my friend, remember how many mountains you have conquered and how many battles you have won. You are strong and brave. You're a fighter. And God will fight with you. 

My 'resolution' for this year was to expand my comfort zone and go out and do stuff. All the things that have scared the living daylights out of me; I want to charge right at them without hesitation.
For example, guys, in the first week of February I will be taking my first EVER dance class by myself - in tap! I am SO excited!! This has been a dream of mine for a long time, and I decided 2020 was the year I would make it come to fruition. I have a plan B if I really flop at it, but let's hope I never have to use it. ;) One other thing I really want to do this year is audition for theatre at my local musical theatre company. Definitely high on the agenda!
Summer's evening light...
Via Pinterest
What is one thing that you really want to tackle in 2020 (or just in the near future)? Is there something that you've been putting off but now going to face head on? Let me know in the comments! Let's cheer each other on!

4 comments:

  1. I used to work in a cafe, too, and while it was really hard I learned a lot! Way to go on taking those first steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, neat! Yes, they're great for helping one grow, that's for sure! Thanks for the encouragement. :) <3

      Delete
  2. YES GIRL.

    This is such a struggle for me. I often believe I can't succeed at whatever new challenge presents itself, which gets more and more stressful as I continue through college and jobs and all that. But we're trying to work on that, and God will help me. <3

    I'm proud of you for stepping out of your comfort zone in the first place, and then for being able to look back on your progress and recognize it for what it is. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 <3

      Awww, we're all in this together, Olivia. God is gracious and gentle with us as we learn - that is what I've experienced time and time again.

      I believe in you!!! *hugs you back*

      Delete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)