Monday, July 6, 2020

How to Handle Stress/Anxiety


I thought I'd write something a little different today, but hopefully it will be helpful to some. In today's day and age, the two words 'stress' and 'anxiety' are very common, and it's so saddening. To think that with all the opportunities and privileges we have in the 21st century, we're all struggling maintaining positive thoughts and healthy mindsets... maybe it's because we have too many opportunities. At any rate, it's no joke. 

I've had my fair share of handling stress and anxious thoughts, and I'm sure we all have times where the struggle is a little more fierce than others. So I wanted to share twelve things that have helped me, and may aid you if you ever feel like your life is caving in around you and you have nowhere to go.

(Also, I have to add a disclaimer that anxiety comes in different ways and levels to different people. There are some who experience this so much deeper than I ever have, and I cannot speak to how they feel. I am no professional and this is not an exhaustive list. But please, if you ever sink so low you can't get out, don't ever, ever be afraid to ask for help. Call a friend. Call Beyond Blue. Don't believe the lie that you are alone and unloved and unseen. You are not, and you never will be, no matter how dark life seems to get. <3) 

Are you more powerful than you know?
Via Pinterest
1. Sit down, close your eyes and breathe. 
I know this sounds stupidly obvious, but I'm serious! God himself says in the Bible to "be still and know that [He] is God". Sometimes some deep breaths and reminders of God's truth can really help fight the devil's lies.

2. Prayer. 
While staying calm and having a clear head can help you deal with any stress, prayer will help you fight it. Let whatever is troubling your heart spill out. Give it over to God; He will carry it for you. You don't have to do this alone.

3. Read the Bible and quote your favourite verses over and over to yourself.
If I'm REALLY freaking out and just need to get my mind off something, I will read my Bible, or if that's not practical, I will say some of my favourite verses out loud, over and over. Even if you don't know it word for word, the words "Take heart and have courage, God will neither leave your or forsake you, Jesus has overcome the world" have POWER. Feed yourself truth.
Hikes,hikes, and more hikes! smoke trees everyday!
Via Pinterest
4. Talk or write it out.
Sometimes when we ask for an answer from God, He sends a friend instead. Use the people He has placed in your life to help - if they love you, they will listen and help you through it. Sometimes we need another human being to help us find peace; we weren't meant to do this alone. And if you aren't able to talk to someone, write it out in a journal or on a scrap of paper. Get it out of your head, get it off your heart.

5. Write a truth for every lie.
I love this one, and it's a tip that I've only recently discovered but oh, it helps so much. Make a list of everything that is worrying you, then write a truth beside each one to help shift your perspective. For example:
  • I'm a failure - you tried and that's enough. Learn from it, forgive yourself and move on. No matter how much you fail, you are still a child of God.
  • I fear what the future brings - trust in God and His perfect timing. He has NEVER failed you before, why would He now?
6. Put on comfy clothes.
I know, random, but sometimes, you need to have that physical comfort to remind you of internal peace. It's not possible to do so at any given time, but if you are able, put on your comfiest clothes or wrap yourself in a soft blanket and pay attention to your physical need for comfort as well as spiritual or emotional.

7. Listen to uplifting music.
Music is balm for the soul. Words are powerful, but music has magic of its own. Put on some worship music, or your favourite songs with a positive message. I have a Spotify playlist specifically for calming me down, so I recommend creating one of your own for such an occasion.
Via Pinterest
8. Make yourself some soothing beverage/food.
While I don't advocate emotional eating or consuming junk food for stress management, sometimes a hot cup of your favorite tea, coffee, or even hot chocolate can help relieve any stress. Often times sipping a hot drink will remind me of other times I've done the same thing with a clear mind, and I can re-evaluate my thoughts.

9. Get lots of sleep and rest.
A lot of times I get stressed from burn-out and lack of rest, sometimes even literal sleep. If you suspect you're needing to catch up on a few hours, allow yourself to have a nap or go to bed early. If you've simply gone overboard with the hustling, allow yourself to unwind and spend time relaxing, like reading a book, playing a game, or watching a movie. Rest is a gift.

10. Make time for what you love/what you need.
Self-care is not selfish. Remember to do the things that bring sunshine to your soul. Give yourself time to enjoy your passions and interests, and not just do all the boring jobs. Go outside. Make music. Organize an adventure to the beach or a mountain climb. If you're an extrovert, organize a social outing, or call a friend. If you're an introvert, schedule in some more quiet time alone. Occasionally, we need to have that extra spark in our lives to brighten up our darker thoughts and shed some light on our perspective.

Via Pinterest
11. Exercise.
Don't hate me for this one! But I pinky promise it is worth a try. It may not work for EVERYONE, but it definitely helps me. If I'm feeling stressed and a little angsty, I'll find a cardio kickboxing workout and punch out my worries into the air. If I'm feeling anxious and overwhelmed, I'll do a gentle yoga and pilates workout. If I'm feeling stressed but with energy to burn, I'll tackle a challenging strength workout and sweat and puff out everything that has been weighing me down. (For the record, whenever I need this, Fitness Blender is always the website that supplies all my workout needs in that area. If you need any recommendations, give it a look!) 

12. Give yourself time, and forgiveness.
You cannot force yourself to push through anxious thoughts or legitimate fears. People who tell you to just 'get over it' do not understand or care to empathize. Remind yourself that it is okay to feel this way, but time will heal many hurts. Be gentle with yourself, and forgiving. 

I hope these suggestions have helped you in some way. Feel free to just use a few that you think would work for you. My hope is that next time you're struggling with some anxious thoughts or symptoms of burn-out, these will help you fight it, and help you know God's peace during it. ðŸ’™

1 comment:

  1. Hello Gabby. I am a Pastor from Mumbai India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privilged and honoured to get connected with you as a Christ follower as well as know your interest. It was interesting to go through your list of tips given to over come Stress and anxiety. These tips are very practical. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 41yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach o ut to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encouarge young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. God's richest blessings on you your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2020

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)