Tuesday, June 23, 2020

How God Uses Even Us

//
Via Pinterest

Once I had two friends (at separate times, but within the space of a year), who were both dear girls, diagnosed with some form of eating disorder. It was a difficult time for them, and an anxious time for me. Both were very unwell – one had to take frequent trips to the hospital for months, and the other had to visit multiple doctors a week. It was during this time that I prayed to God, asking Him to show me what I could do. I didn’t get to see either one of those girls very often, and felt as though I was utterly powerless to do anything to help them. The only thing I could think of doing was sending them notes or letters. So I did.

I knew that they would have many other people in their lives helping them with other areas, and that it wasn’t my task to guide them towards a healthier mindset and approach. They didn't need that from me as well. God told me what they needed. They needed tender love and support.

So on occasion I would write, just letting them know that I was there for them, to be a support and encouragement, and that I loved them and God loved them. Because it was true! I genuinely wanted the best for those girls and I ached to help them more, but I could not. All I could do was send them a reminder from time to time that they were loved and I had their back.

And you know what?

That was all I needed to do. God knew that was what they needed from me, and He enabled me to do just that.

Today, both those girls are much happier and healthier and I’m so proud of them. It was a hard time for them, and I’m sure they both came out stronger for it. And I came out of it knowing something I hadn’t known before; that God knows what my friends need better than I do. I was so frustrated during those waiting seasons, because I wanted to be a friend who would come over and hold their hand, watch movies together, laugh together, cry together, and be very present with them. But I was not in the circumstance to be able to do that. At first I thought that if I couldn't do that, then I couldn't help them at all. Tenderly, God reminded me that being a good friend doesn't always mean being at the forefront, physically being there for them and sitting beside them in every recovery picture they had. Sometimes, the best thing we can do is be the person in the background, rallying behind our friends in prayer, cheering them on in spirit, and sending messages of encouragement and support when they need it most.

It feels like Christmas 🎄
Via Pinterest

Both those girls wrote to me, during and after recovery, saying that they had been so encouraged by my support and constant love and care through it all. They said those small words of encouragement helped them through it and made a big difference to them. And I’m not trying to say that as though I’m the model friend and you should all praise me – PLEASE don’t take it that way! – because it wasn’t me, it was Jesus. I just did what the Holy Spirit prompted me to do. I told them the truth that they needed to hear. I reminded them that God was whispering words of love into their ear, if they could only hear it.


God is marvellous in answering our prayers. He hardly ever answers them directly, but He does in a round-about way that is far better. When I asked Him to let me help my friends, I was expecting Him to bring an opportunity forward where I could go visit them or help care for them in some obvious way. But no, I had only a pen and paper. Yet that was all I needed. God gave me everything, because He knew what both myself and my friends did and didn’t need. 

Friends, don't underestimate the power of your words; remember that you can choose to speak life or speak death. Choose life.

Don't underestimate what God can do through you, even if you feel helpless and not enough; even if your circumstance is less than ideal. He is enough.

Don't underestimate the wisdom and kindness of God, and how He can use even us, in both big ways and little ways. He knows best. 

Via Pinterest

And dear soul, don't doubt your worth or your value because you aren't being praised by multitudes of people and you feel insignificant; it is the humblest lives that give forth the most kindness. <3

2 comments:

  1. I love this. Most of my friends live far from me, and it's hard to be supportive and a good friend at a distance, or so it seems. But you're right, God wants us to use any means at our disposal to help and encourage and just be a good friend. Thank you for that reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Rachel! It meant a lot to me. :) I'm so glad the words resonated with you.

      Delete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)