Wednesday, May 24, 2023

10 Things That Make Me Instantly Want to Read a Book

I recently read Hamlette's post with this Top Ten Tuesday tag (which I'm posting on a Wednesday, hush) and decided I wanted to do it, too. After all, sometimes talking about books it just as much fun as reading them. ;) 

Also, the obvious answer to this question would be if it's written by an author I love, but for the sake of originality, I'll leave that as a given.

via Pinterest

1. Themes of cooking, food and hospitality. This is a recent discovery of mine, but I'm becoming slowly obsessed. I love non-fiction books that are peppered with descriptions of food and why it's important or sentimental to the person, and slow, soothing undertones of the dinner table and pottering around in the kitchen. (Case in point: "Bread and Wine" by Shauna Niequist.)

2. Written in a quirky style. I love a bit of quirk, and it will always catch my eye if it's something out of the ordinary. Some examples would be letters between characters (hello, Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society) or diary style entries.

3. Set around World War II. What can I say? It's almost sentimental of me. I'm not sure why, but I've always been drawn to that period - even in my own writing.

4. Books about peace and purpose. This is oddly specific, I know, but it's true. I read a lot of non-fiction, especially faith-based books, and at the moment anything that talks about peace or purpose - especially from a Christian view point - is sure to grab my attention. (A notable read from this category would be: "Rhythms of Renewal" by Rebekah Lyons or "My Jesus" by Anne Wilson.)

5. Set in France/Italy. Yep. That should probably be at the top of the list, really. (Although these are in no particular order.) My obsession with France and Italy continues. I just finished devouring "My Life in France" by Julia Child. Somehow, this seems to go hand in hand with the food part. (So please, any recommendations of books about France/Italy with food as a theme - THROW 'EM AT ME!)

via Pinterest

6. It's a classic. Ain't that a fact. I've grown up reading classics as my go-to pick and I believe I will live and breath and die a classics girl.

7. It's mysterious. Give me a solid book blurb about someone missing or why they can never go back to the island and I am sold. Here. Take my money.

8. The heroine is around my age or is particularly relatable. This almost seems a little egotistical, but if the story sounds like something I could imagine myself at the centre of, I will be more attracted to it. On the flip side, if it states on the back of the book that the heroine hates music, is disastrously shy, and wears mismatched socks every day, I will most likely re-shelve it immediately. ;)

9. It's a story I've heard referred to within ANOTHER story. Maybe it's because I hate to feel uncultured, but understanding the context within the context of a story makes me ~ delighted ~. What greater feeling than hearing a reference to a classic book in a modern TV show and knowing exactly what they're talking about?

10. Several people have mentioned it/recommended it - especially if those people are unconnected and it's a SIGN that you need to read it. Even if it doesn't sound like something I'd usually read, if it's popped up in conversation multiple times, then I will give in to the peer pressure just to try it out. (Curiousity, and all that.)



Do we have any in common? Have you lost all faith in my book recommendations now? xD

3 comments:

  1. Yes to all, but especially to number 10. It feels like a bit of a sign, doesn't it? Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/things-getting-in-the-way-of-reading/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books about food!

    Here is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, the 'themes of cooking' thing isn't something that's on my 'auto-read' radar, but it's always something I enjoy when it's included. (Thinking about that...have you seen Babette's Feast? Or read Lizzie & Jane by Katherine Reay? Those are two of my favorite stories with cooking/food/hospitality in them. :))

    Ahhh, I am also a total sucker for WWII! It's a bit ridiculous, sometimes. XD

    Oh yes, I love finding stories or things that are referred to inside of other stories! And it doesn't even need to be books--a book that I really like references Audubon's folios a LOT, and I was OVER THE MOON excited to find out that my library at college has an Audubon folio and displays a new bird print every week.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)