Wednesday, May 3, 2023

I'm In Another Musical!

 Yeehaw!

via Pinterest


I'm finally in another show! (I say finally. It's been, like, 6 months, haha.) But after taking a couple rejections on the chin, I was thrilled to get the opportunity to do another show! (Especially when the audition was probably the worst I'd ever done. I had prepared exactly what they said to in the audition pack, but when we arrived and they had some people away sick, they advised they'd jump straight to callbacks and proceeded to do absolutely nothing in the audition pack. I didn't even KNOW the first song that we had to sing! I suspect my eyes may have been bulging with stress.)

And I know what you're thinking. Another show, Gabby? So that means you're going to drop off the face of the earth for another 6 months? To which I reply, "the show season is only 3 months this time! :D" 

But no, I'm hoping to still keep up somewhat during this busy season. Fortunately, rehearsals are only twice a week, and slightly less demanding than Mamma Mia! was, so I think it's more do-able.

But the question that I'm sure is at the fore-front of everyone's minds...

... which show?!

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the answer.


... TUCK EVERLASTING!


Me ^^


Almost everyone I tell ^^


Potentially you ^^


So apparently, a lot of people don't know it. That's fair. We are doing the Queensland premiere of it in Australia, and the musical is fairly new. It was first a book, then a movie (starring Alexis Bledel, for any Gilmore Girl fans), and then premiered as a musical in Atlanta, Georgia in 2015, opening on Broadway in 2016 (starring Andrew Keenan-Bolger as the lead male, for any Newsies fans!). (If you're true Newsies fans, you will probably already know this musical, because you will have madly researched the entire careers of all the casts. ;P) It's pretty sad, because this is one of those stories where they developed the show over 6 years and it closed after 39 performances (still better than Bonnie & Clyde  :'(), even though it received positive reviews! (This fact also makes it difficult to source good quality photos of the production. Rude.)

Rough plot: a story of a family who drink water from a magical spring and become immortal. When they encounter a young girl who lives in their rural town, she becomes friends with one of the sons (Crutchieee) who soon offers her the secret to everlasting life. She then has to decide if she wants to join her new friends in immortality, or continue living out her normal life. The themes are of family, loss, friendship, and love.

via Pinterest

via Pinterest

via Pinterest

via Pinterest

via Pinterest

The show is almost like a children's story, a fairytale, so it can take a little getting used to the plot. But once you've gotten past the fountain of youth, it's quite a moving story. They cover some heavy topics, but in a gentle, beautiful way. The ending of the show is a 12 minute ballet, portraying a time lapse of the little girl's life. 

One of the things I love about the show is THE MUSIC! It's so beautiful. It has a whimsical folk-type feel to it, with a few jazzier, swing songs (mostly for the villain, hehe). It almost gives Frozen vibes, with the "day-na-na" in the background. (If you know, you know.)

via Pinterest


Another reason I was keen to be in it, was because three of my siblings are also in it! My older sister is playing a supporting lead role - Betsy, the mother of the little girl Winnie Foster. I play Betsy understudy, and a featured ensemble. My little sister is playing in ensemble and Toad (a vital character, and one of the biggest cast-to-audience jokes), and my little brother is also a featured ensemble. It's been a lot of fun so far, and we're only a few weeks into rehearsals! 

via Pinterest


So if I do get a bit quiet on here, I haven't been kidnapped by aliens. Most likely, if I'm not at work or driving, I'll be running lines, practicing choreo, or going over my harmonies and "day-na-na's" with the score. ;)

I may wrap up this post here, but I'll leave one little gem with you. If you are a Newsies fan, or a theatre fan, or just intrigued by this musical, I highly encourage you to check out the backstage at Broadway vlogs that Andrew Keenan-Bolger did when it opened on Broadway. 




Let me know if you would like to hear more about the rehearsal process! And tell me about what exciting things have been happening in your life!

8 comments:

  1. *starts singing* "I can't LiVe liKE tHiSSSSS FOREVERRRRRR . . . "

    Such fun! Congrats on getting cast! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yep, you know the show. xD

      Thank youuu! :D

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! That's so neat! I've read Tuck Everlasting, but I didn't realize there was a musical! I shall have to go look up the music--I'm always a sucker for musicals. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd love to hear what you think. Some of my favourite songs from it are "Time", "The Wheel", "Partner in Crime" and "Live Like This" (but also, like, aaaall of themmmm).

      Delete
  3. Wow! How cool! I read the book many moons ago, but I didn't know it'd been turned into a musical. It sounds magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so good. I've never read the book so I couldn't say how accurate it is, but the musical was a massive improvement to the movie, in my opinion. I think the story lends itself well to music. :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Gabby! I'm so glad you're able to be in another play! And with so many of your siblings, too! What fun! :D

    I have heard of Tuck Everlasting. I think we actually have a copy of the book, though I have yet to read it. I've seen pictures from the movie, but didn't know it was made into a musical as well. Very neat.

    I hope it goes well, and that it turns out to be a marvelously fun experience the whole way through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss March!! (Also hello! I've missed you <3) It's a huge blessing to be in it altogether, and such a beautiful show.

      Yes, I highly recommend the musical. The movie was a little "blah" (quite slow-paced) but I haven't read the book. There's a musical for pretty much everything. ;)

      Thank you!! Xx

      Delete

Please don't be afraid to comment! I was once a silent reader myself. :)